Thursday, July 23, 2009

Work Furlough Day



Tomorrow is Friday, and because I am a county employee, I don’t go to work tomorrow. Tomorrow is a “work furlough day” which means, we have an unpaid work “holiday” in order to save money = jobs. I’m already volunteered to work a 30 hour week, but I still have to take all furlough days like everyone else. Counties got off lucky---they only have one day a month—state agencies have to take two days off each month—that’s 10% of their salary.

So, I’m sitting here thinking of ways I can spend this furlough day. Here are some ideas that I have entertained:

I could sleep in and stay in pajamas all day.

Okay that is not realistic at all. It would be a complete waste of a day…my kids would prevent this from happening somehow.

I could go to the grocery store.

Good idea. I need to stock up on juice. I buy a gallon of juice—it’s gone by the end of the day. I’m not kidding. Juice does not last long in my house…nor does toilet paper, and paper towels.

I could go Avon pushing.

Yes, I could grab my chili pepper bag and go door to door pushing Avon to the neighbors in the neighborhood. Who am I kidding? I’d rather just throw a brochure on their welcome mat instead-I’m not a in your face Avon lady---not a top seller by any means, but I could put on my Curves pants and burn off some poundage. By the way, there are a lot of big summer deals at Avon. If you want free shipping---inquire within.

I could clean the house.

I could clean the house any day…why do it on my day off? Nah..scratch this one off!

I could go to the beach.

I like this one. I haven’t been to the beach for what seems forever, and when I finally do it’s already the end of summer, and I want to kick myself for not doing it sooner or more often. I bought some new sand toys for Nicholas, and the weather has been great.

Beach it is.

P.S. I took my son to his swimming lesson this afternoon. The Drama Mama lady was not there. This is a good thing.. :)

7 comments:

Joann said...

I like your final decision!!! Enjoy your day off if only to pi$$ off the government!! = )

lisa said...

i read yesterday that Avon is getting rid of thousands of workers....there is an Avon distribution plant near Cincinnati, Ohio and they are laying those people off. Sad. The work forlough days are also sad too....at least for those who depend on 40 hours. I definitely would go straight to a beach if i was able to get near one. Enjoy.

Julie said...

The beach sounds great. I would vote for that one also.

Missie said...

I'd stay in my jammies all day if I could!

I'm not a pushy Avon lady either. I get more sales if I don't push! I don't like pushy sales people so I wouldn't do it to someone else. LOL

Hope you have good weekend.

Dawn said...

Hello there!!! Sorry Nicholas was sick! Hope your day was good anyhow!

be well...

Jeannette said...

I hope you had a wonderful day!

Sage Ravenwood said...

I can't think of a better way to spend a day off. I haven't been to the beach in ages. (Hugs)Indigo