Friday, March 6, 2009

Edwin



I woke up this morning with the realization that it was someone's birthday. This is my note to my brother, Edwin-1957-1961

Although I never met you big brother, you'll always be known to me as my "little brother." I grew up with only your pictures to know you by--your toothy smile next to our big brother Eddy. There are pictures of you playing with the neighbor's dog, dancing in the livingroom, playing cars and trucks, and those pictures of you and Eddy wearing matching suit Sunday clothes, posing by the water fountain at the Water Dept.

I grew up hearing I looked like you. I remember the look on my father's face when he said it-it was a bittersweet look. I saw the resemblance in your baby pictures-and I sometimes would claim them as my own. I also grew up being reminded daily NEVER to run across the street, and to always ride my bike on the right side of the road, because dad always said, "I already lost one, and I don't want to lose another."

To this day, I often wonder what life would have been to grow up with two big brothers around. I will never know-I will only know that I have missed out.

Happy Birthday Edwin-you would have been 52 years old today-but you will always be my little brother.

I love you!

Your younger sister, Julie

7 comments:

Toon said...

It's weird how close we can feel to family members we haven't even met. Nicely done.

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

Julie, love the picture. Very nice tribute to you brother. Love Nill

Missie said...

Happy Birthday to Edwin in Heaven!

Anonymous said...

Julie, this is perfect. I was a little annoyed about a business transaction, but this certainly softened my reaction to things this evening, & put them in proper order. Happy Birthday to Edwin. Love to your mom, too. Must be a difficult day for her. My parents lost 2 children in the 50s, Ralph & Julia, and they were often spoken of in my home. Most people saw me as an only child, but to my parents, I had a brother & a sister. ~Mary

Jimmy's Journal said...

Great sentiment and well written. Happy Birthday Edwin.

Jimmy

Sage Ravenwood said...

What a Beautiful sweet tribute to your little brother. I think he would of adored his little sister had he lived. Thank your for sharing this dear heart. (Hugs)Indigo

Lori said...

That was very sweet. My mother had an older brother who died when he was just 12 days old. He was the second born in the family, and the oldest brother was only two years old when he was born. But he, my mother, their sister and all their younger brothers always referred to him as "Baby Brother", even though he had a name, and we younger ones of the family still refer to him that way.