Friday, June 15, 2018

Kite String

Kite String
My childhood summers were spent near the ocean at windy beaches with rainbow buckets, shovels, and countless plastic kites purchased with birthday money at the local TG&Y.   My plastic kite certainly wasn't the strongest or the fanciest; it was only your run of the mill triangular kites decorated in the shape of butterflies with only a string for a tail.  I made it my own by adding plastic bows and leftover hair ribbon.  It was cheaply made, but it was strong enough to last at least one day at the beach.
“All you need is some kite string, and a good wind,” my father would say.
I fondly remember days with my father, and carefully holding the kite's frame high above my head, waiting for his signal.  He would stand there in front of me at a distance, waiting for the first gust of wind.  
“Let go!”
I joyfully released my kite into the wind, and marveled as It steadily rose above me; it’s tail of ribbons looming wildly above my head.  I watched my father as he skillfully maneuvered the line with his hands; releasing the line slowly with his fingers.  His small steps backward would send the kite higher into the sky.   
“Okay, Julie.  Take it now.”
My father then motioned for me to take hold of the spool of kite string.  I was unsure of myself, and my father seemed to sense my insecurities.  I wasn’t the most coordinated child, and there was a history of many ill-fated flights from the past, but a sense of determination soon took over me. 
“Just keep it steady.  If the pitch starts falling, just run a little, but keep it against the wind,” my father warned.
I nodded to my father, as I took a tight grip to the kite string. 
I felt the strong and steady pull of the line instantly, and happily watched as my butterfly kite continued to lift up above me.   It was exciting to know I was in full control, and I could feel my confidence rise with the kite as it continued to drive steadily up into the sky.   My kite was also getting a lot of attention.  Younger children were now standing near me, and even strangers had stopped to look up and admire it cutting through the clouds.
“Roll the line a little.”
Hesitantly I began to roll my spool of line; a little to the left, and then to the right.  The motion soon sends my kite down immediately, loosing it’s pitch and out of control into a turbulent looking frenzy!
“Run, Julie run!”  my father calls out excitedly.
I take the spool of line and take off running, kicking sand, my butterfly kite flying out of control somewhere behind me. 
"You did it, Julie, you did it!"
I hear my father's voice behind me, and turn around still running, only to see my butterfly kite now dancing; with ribbons and bows flowing gracefully against a cloudy summer sky.

No comments: